Monday, November 8, 2010

Halloween/31st Birthday Card

Hello everyone!!  Going to have quite a few posts for you guys in the next week :) Just completed my Pregnancy Scrapbook and will post pictures very soon!  In the meantime, here's a Birthday card I made for my husband (his bday is on Halloween!)- this was his 31st bday on Oct 31st so I decided to go with a "31" theme and I got my inspiration from thisTim Holtz tag .  Isn't it awesome? I'm going through quite a big Tim Holtz phase right now- love his stuff!

So although my card does not look as sweet as Mr. Holtz's (no surprise there) hopefully you'll enjoy it just the same :)



  I used TH Distress Ink and his vintage halloween owl stamp (hubby's got a thing for owls).  If you want to see the technique I used for the background go here http://www.timholtz.com/demos.html and click on "distress ink" demo.  I didn't take pictures during the process since it was my first time trying it and I had no wisdom to impart haha.  After I made the background and it dried I stamped the owl in Archival Ink 3x.  Definitely fun trying something new!


This is the finished bakground- I thought it looked pretty nifty although I didn't have any glimmer mist or anything so it doesn't look as bright and shiny as Tim's does.


I matted it in black and then purple printed cardstock.  Then I added a ribbon and gathered some TH tissue tape along the bottom. I then adhered this whole piece onto my card.  The blank card was 5x7 but I cut the bottom most inch off the front card flap so the inside would show through on the outside. 


I made a rosette via the same method I wrote about in my previous post (still don't have that die to do it for me!) so I won't rehash that here and inked it using black ink.  I cut out some circles on my Gypsy to adhere to each side of the rosette so it would lie flat.  I also cut out a 13 using Winter Woodlands and a scallop border using Plantin Schoolbook.




I added some Distress Stickles to the 31 and the scallop border (Gunmetal shade)


On the inside I used BoBunny orange cardstock which I inked heavily.  The orange cardstock on the inside shows through on the front of the card which adds a little brightness.  I also threw on some bat brads and fake stitching. 

Lastly I adhered on the rosette, 13, and scallop border then voila!  All done! Hope you enjoy and thanks Tim Holtz for the inspiration :D


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment! You're awesome!