Wednesday, April 10, 2013

3 Days of Freezer Meals: Part Three (Shrimp)

ETA:If you enjoy these recipes and are looking for more great and easy freezer meal recipes, please check out my e-Book, “Make Ahead Meals: Freezer Meal Recipes that Make Dinner Quick and Easy”. The book is both a step by step guide to getting started with freezer meals and a cookbook. The book contains over 50 recipes and printables for inventory tracking, labels, and grocery lists. All of the recipes use whole foods and each recipe lists the calorie content per serving (most are less than 500 calories per serving). This book will show you the best way to make and cook healthy and cost efficient freezer meals from start to finish! For more information please CLICK HERE, the book can be purchased either as an e-Book or hardcopy.

To purchase a PDF file of this e-Book (for $7.99) directly from myself please click the PayPal button below





To Purchase a Full Color, Hard Copy of this Book (for $21.99) please click the Amazon link below:

Amazon

Hi friends!  I'm here for my last installment of  "3 Days of Freezer Meals", I hope you've enjoyed my posts so far :)  See Day 1 HERE, and Day 2 HERE.  Today I'm sharing my last protein, which is frozen shrimp.  Whenever I go to Target and I notice that the frozen shrimp is on sale (which is actually quite often) I pick up a bag or two and store it in my downstairs freezer. Then once I have enough 1lb bags of shrimp I get to cooking.  This timing also happens to correspond to when I run out of shrimp meals in my freezer so it works out nicely haha.  Of course you could also buy 7 lbs of shrimp outright if it's on sale, shrimp tends to be more expensive for me so I like to spread out buying it over the course of a couple months.


The first recipe is one of my favorites- Baked Shrimp Scampi. We usually serve this over cauliflower rice and boy is it yummy. It has butter, which isn't super healthy of course but I figure the healthiness of the shrimp and the fact that we're eating cauliflower rice instead of pasta helps off set that and I don't feel too guilty (SN: it is also delicious with pasta!).

The last time I made a batch of shrimp scampi I used 1.5 sticks of butter in each tray, per the recipe, and that made a LOT of delicious buttery sauce, but I decided this go around that it wasn't necessary and I'd cut the amount of butter down. I also got organic butter this time, I tried just a teensy teensy bit and that one little bite was like WOW good. So I can't wait to try this, because I think the high quality butter is going to make it even better!

Ingredients:

4 1lb bags of large shrimp
3/4c white wine
4 sticks of organic butter
Minced garlic (12 cloves worth)
1/3c minced parsley
3/4c minced shallots
1.5c Panko
2 lemons + zest
Salt + Pepper
3 egg yolks
Red Pepper Flakes

So basically this recipe is super easy.  Let your butter soften at RT, then add in garlic, parsley, shallots, panko, lemon zest + juice, salt, pepper, egg yolks, and red pepper flakes to taste.  It's basically like making a compound butter. 

SN: I buy a big huge jar of minced garlic at BJs instead of mincing my own.  Now I get it- it's not as good this way.  Blah blah blah.  Trust me, I used to make everything from scratch and chop all my garlic fresh.  But ya know what?  Aint nobody got time for that!  I hate peeling garlic and you can bet your ass I'm not gonna peel 12 cloves for this recipe, then 8 cloves for another recipe, and on and on.  Nopers.  Plus ya know what? Tastes fine to me.  I'm not Eric Ripert, and I'm just cooking for my hubby who pretty much likes everything I make.  Pre minced garlic is just fine, thank you.

Once your butter mixture is well mixed start divvying up the shrimp between 4 trays (1 bag/lb per tray).  I only had 2 8x8 GLAD Ovensafe Bakeware trays so I used some tin foil trays I had on hand for the other two portions.  Once your little babies are in there pour some white whine over them.  I dunno how much.  A few glugs.  Like 2-3 tablespoons per tray.  Don't go overboard, otherwise there won't be enough left to drink afterwards.  ha!

After that, split your butter mixture into four equal portions and put dollops of the mixture on top of the shrimp.  Now you're done!  Howsabout that?  To cook, thaw overnight in the fridge (or not, you can cook this straight from frozen which is super helpful, just increase the cooking time), and cook at 400C for 15-20minutes until shrimp is pink and topping is golden brown. 


My last meal recipe is Garlicky Shrimp and Asparagus Stir Fry.  I wanted something quick, that could be cooked straight from frozen, and healthy.  This baby fit the bill perfectly.  The recipe below makes 3 meals.
Ingredients:

3lbs of Frozen Shrimp
2 Large bunches of asparagus, cut into bite size pieces
8 tbsp Soy Sauce
8 tbsp water or chicken broth
4 tsp sesame Oil
1 cup dry sherry
3 tbsp ginger (this is freshly grate, the store bought stuff just doesn't cut it here)
Minced garlic (12 cloves worth or about 4 tbsp)
1/2 cup chopped scallions
2 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp sriracha
3 tbsp light brown sugar

So this is pretty easy as well- and as a note, don't be afraid to try your own stir fry sauce!  It's super easy and sooooo much healthier than any store bought sauce.  Anyways, first mix up your soy sauce, broth, sesame oil, sherry, cornstarch, sriracha, and sugar.  Once that is mixed start sauteeing your garlic and ginger until cooked and fragrant, then add in your scallions.  Once those have cooked a bit add in your sauce and cook until thickened (usually 3-5minutes).  Don't add any salt to this, there is plenty in the sauce!

To assemble your freezer meals: add one pound of shrimp to each bag, 1/3 of the asparagus (1.5 cups or so), and 1/3 of the sauce (a little under a cup).  The asparagus is raw when added to the bag because it will cook when reheated.  To serve just dump in a pan and sautee until shrimp and asparagus are cooked through.  Easy peasy and much healthier than those PF Changs stir fries (although those are delicious too lol).

Okay so those are both shrimp meals.  Each one is intended to be served with some Cauliflower rice (in lieu of rice or pasta) which is frozen in ziploc bags along with the meals. Here's how ya make it:


Step 1. Cut florets of cauliflower
Step 2. Pulse in food processor until it looks like above
(Step 3. Freeze)
Step 4. Sautee in a pan with some oil until cooked through

So there we have it!  21 or so freezer meals total (plus leftovers) in about 5 days :)  Here was my schedule so you can see how I fit all this cooking into my weekend without wanting to shoot myself afterwards.  I know some ladies are super stars and will cook thirty thousand meals in one day but I'd just assume do little bits at a time. 

Thursday: Grocery Shopping
Friday Night: Make chicken broth and shred chicken
Saturday: Assemble Chicken Vegetable Soup, Chicken Kale Casserole, and Meatloaf.
Sunday: Assemble Meatballs and Baked Shrimp Scampi
Monday Night: Assemble Shrimp Stir Fry and Make Cauliflower Rice

Now, as promised, here is my Master Grocery List (for Chicken Veggie Soup, Chicken Kale Casserole, Meatloaf, Meatballs, Shrimp Scampi and Shrimp Stir Fry).  In case you're nutso and feel like making all 21 of these meals over one weekend here is what you will need (go organic whenever you can!).  There are actually quite a few overlapping ingredients between recipes so it makes sense to do a few meals at once:

Master Grocery List:

4 whole chickens
6 lbs of meatloaf mix
7x 1lb bags of shrimp
5 onions
6-8 shallots depending on size
2 large bags of trimmed kale
1 large bag of diced squash
1 large bag of green beans
1 bag of celery
1 medium size bag of baby carrots
2 large bunches of asparagus
3 Heads of cauliflower
Scallions
Ginger
Sriracha
Red Pepper Flakes
4 bay leafs
handful of peppercorns
Dijon Mustard (couple tablespoons)
Worcestshire Sauce (couple tablespoons)
3 boxes of whole wheat pasta
1 3lb tub of ricotta cheese
4-5 cups of parmesan
One jar of minced garlic (or about 5 heads of garlic if you're better than me and use fresh)
2 very large bunches of parsley
Panko breadcrumbs
2 sleeves of saltines
4 lemons
Eggs (16 total)
5 sticks of butter
Oil for sauteeing
One jug of milk (~3 cups)
1 bottle of ketchup (2 cups)
Light brown sugar (~1 cup)
Apple cider vinegar (1 small bottle)
Six slices of sandwich bread
1/2c soy Sauce
3 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp sesame Oil
1 cup dry sherry
White wine (~1 cup)
GLAD Ovensafe Bakeware: Three 9x13in trays, Four 8x8in trays
Ziploc Freezer Bags: 8 large, 3 small
Ziploc 72oz tupperware containers: 5


These are the storage containers that I recommend for making these recipes. The OvenWare trays and Ball Freezer Jars are all reusable and the bags are heavy duty and freezer proof.







Alright ladies and gents! I hope you've enjoyed my little "mini series".   Please feel free to contact me with any questions you might have!




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your freezer meal recipes. They've been really inspiring to me! I froze the garlicky shrimp a couple weeks ago, and I'm planning to cook it this week. All of your recipes indicate your temperature is Celsius, but the temps don't seem to make sense. You say to cook the shrimp on 400C, which would be over 700 degrees Fahrenheit. Will you please clarify?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment! You're awesome!