Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Apple and Cranberry Crisp

Hi peoples! I'm stopping by today to share a recipe for an apple and cranberry crisp that I made yesterday which was delicious!  This means I got excused from Jury Duty- thank goodness!  I used the apples that Charlie and I picked from our trip to Lyman Orchards :)  This crisp recipe is easily modified for any in season fruit, this summer I made it using peaches and strawberries as the filling (just omit the spices used here) and it was equally yummy. 

Ingredients

6-8 large to medium apples (Charlie and I were picking apples based on color, so we used a variety)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
2 sticks of butter, chilled and diced
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup dried cranberries

1. Peel and medium dice the apples

2. Mix apples with lemon juice, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 tbsp flour, cranberries, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp ground ginger, and 1/4 tsp salt.  Mix and set aside for 5-10 minutes.

3. For the crust: Combine remaining flour, sugar, brown sugar, salt, oatmeal, and butter and mix using the paddle on an electric mixer until the butter is pea sized.


4. Add the apples to a baking dish and pour the crust on top (you might have extra topping leftover).  Press down firmly (Charlie was a good helper with this part)

5. Cook at 350C for 45 minutes until crust is brown and caramel bubbles over the top.

6. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream, enjoy!

Promise- this recipe is so good! The sugar and butter melt down to make this amazing caramel that coats the apples and the top is nice and crispy.  MMMMMmmmm! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this looks delicious! I have a bag of dried cranberries and a box of local apples right now... hm... I can tell what I'm going to be making this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment! You're awesome!