Saturday, November 16, 2013

Wally Lamb in Norwich

I totally classify myself as a book nerd.  I would always have my nose buried in a book until I became pregnant and for some reason I couldn't concentrate enough to read a book any more.  It was SO weird, it happened suddenly and my focus completely disappeared and I have yet to get it back.  Odd right?  Well I still love stories so I have recently found the perfect solution for my lack of attention, long commute, and love of books = audiobooks! I listen to audiobooks on my commute to and from work constantly, and when I'm working on the weekend and no one is around I listen some more.

One book I was really looking forward to listening to was recently released by one of my favorite authors, Wally Lamb.  If you're a book fan you might recognize his name from writing "She's Come Undone", "I Know This Much is True", "The Hour I First Believed" and most recently, "We Are Water".  I love his style and have read his books since I was in high school.



One of the things about these books that you might remember if you're a fan is that they mostly center around a town called Three Rivers in CT.  Three Rivers is a fictional town but it is based on a real town here in CT-- Norwich.  This is the town where Wally Lamb grew up and spent decades teaching at the Norwich Free Academy.   Funnily enough, I've now lived in Norwich for 4 years! Crazy, right? It's so weird listening to his books and knowing exactly what road, or restaurant, or hospital he's talking about.

The weirdest thing to me is that his latest book is about a flood in Norwich that happened in the 60's.  The flood started at Mohegan Park and ended up at the mill in town here in Taftville (a small suburb of Norwich which is where I live).  Literally both of those places are under 5 minutes away from my house.  It's just so crazy to hear a very famous author speak about where I live, even though he was here first of course haha.  Especially since I had no idea about the flood prior to reading his book!

Anyways, Wally Lamb had a speaking engagement at the library here in Norwich last night and I quickly registered to get a seat.  I was glad I did, because a big time famous Oprah's book club author coming back to his hometown sure filled up quickly :)


I really enjoyed listening to him: he was charming, engaging, and very funny.  About 1 minute into him talking I realized I recognized his voice from my audiobook of "We Are Water", he had done the narration for one of the characters and I didn't even realize it!  He spoke a bit about growing up in Norwich and about the flood.  He based the flood in the book from the real 1963 Norwich flood and the Moody family, whose mother died in the flood.  It was very interesting because 2 of the survivors from that family, that were under 2 years old at the time, were in the audience!


It was a very fun night (although I might have been one of the youngest people in attendance...apparently libraries aren't the "cool" place to be on a Friday night? lol) and importantly it helped me get my mind off of Mr. Charlie for an hour so I could stop worrying so darn much!  Anyways, if you haven't read (or listened) to any books written by Wally Lamb I highly recommend his stuff, definitely check him out!!




1 comment:

  1. Meeting a favorite author is a perfect place to spend a Friday night in my opinion, no matter what your age! :) Awesome! And glad you could get your mind on something else for a bit!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment! You're awesome!