Thursday, January 30, 2014

Five on Thursday

Well, I promised I would stop by with an update for ya so I'm doing a Five on Thursday even though I know it's technically supposed to be "Five on Friday" and I'm also supposed to have a cutesy little graphic to go along with it.  But I don't cause I'm a shitty blogger.  Truth.  I guess as a fair warning I'm feeling a bit.....cranky and whiny about the last few weeks.  So this "five on thursday" will probably read as cranky and whiny.  Consider yourself warned....


1. Charlie's visit to the ER

A few Saturday's ago Robb was watching Charlie (because I work on the weekends) and had to put him in timeout.  Whilst in timeout our genius little boy decided to start picking at the paint along the railing of the stairs.  This resulted in a huge paint chip getting wedged under his thumbnail, literally ALL the way to the cuticle.  It looked SO painful, it was a good thing I wasn't there because I wouldn't have been able to do a damn thing to help lol.  I'm sparing you the photo (you're welcome) but it's gross, trust.  Anyways, after Robb couldn't get it out the ped said to go to the ER.  So off they went to sit and wait and wait and wait, luckily they got a private room because of the CF.  Eventually the doctor came, numbed up his thumb, and got the paint chip out.  I'm grateful it wasn't a big deal, but that has got to be the stupidest reason for an ER visit ever, right?


2. Suicidal Deer

As you know, I have an hour commute each way to work and most of that time is spent on backroads.  Sunday night I was driving home on a empty wooded road about 10 minutes away from my house when all of a sudden I hear a huge crash and my car swerves to the right.  Next thing I see is a stupid deer head (you could just tell it was stupid) in the bottom of my windshield.  The stupid deer literally ran right into my freaking car out of no where! I kept on driving because my car wasn't totaled and there was no where to easily pull over.  Plus there wasn't much to do anyways, I'm quite sure the deer was dead (cough deserved it cough).  Once I got home I got a flashlight and could observe the damage.  Literally EVERY panel on the left side of my car along with my back bumper is dented, my rearview mirror is broken, and I can only open the drivers side door about 10 inches (which means I could barely get out).  If you want to know my feelings on deer I invite you to watch this clip of the comedian Louis CK discussing how he hates deer (it's super hilarious and worth watching, but a bit dirty).  I hated deer before they rammed my car, and now I double hate them.  I'm grateful I wasn't hurt and all, but seriously that has got to be the dumbest deer ever, right?

3. Rental Cars

UGH! I hate my rental car.  I miss my OLD car (wahhhh).  that deer is such an asshole.  Reasons I don't like my rental? No USB port to charge my phone. No remote start (this is a biggie with the polar vortex and all). It's far too low to the ground. It drives funny.  It's not as good in the snow.  I'm grateful that it's covered by insurance, but rental cars are a total PIA, right?

My arch enemy, Pseudomonas aeruginosa

4. Microbial Invasions

Oh irony of ironies.  I work all day with the same bacteria that are constantly infecting my son's mucus filled lungs.  Had I realized this would be the case I probably would not have taken the job, but that's neither here nor there.  So I'm surrounded by staph aureus, pseudomonas aeruginosa, and other stinky nasties at work and then wage antibiotic warfare on them at home.  (I feel the need to state that there has never been any cross contamination between work and home.  Charlie cultured both pseudomonas and staph prior to my working at this job and has actually cultured negative for both lately).  While this coincidence occassionally lends to the lame workplace joke (ie Co-worker: "Man, I can't get my pseudomonas to grow!" Cassie: "Ask Charlie, he's great at growing it in his lungs" hardy har har) I do get awful sick of bacteria.  In particular, we've had some nasty cold bug infecting our house in the last week.  First Robb picked it up from a co-worker and was really sick for a couple days.  A few days later I got it, and I've been sick for a few days as well, with a lingering cough that keeps making me pee my pants.  Having a 9 lb baby sure is grand on the bladder.  ANYWAYS.  Charlie had a runny nose and cough for a few days which we treated with sick plan but he seems to be all better now.  I'm grateful it wasn't something more serious, but how annoying can bacteria be sometimes, right?

5. Weight Watchers

One of my (many) New Years Resolutions is the classic and cliche weight loss.  I've gained like a mo fo these past few months so I need to get that shit under control.  Since WW has always worked really well for me I decided to sign up and start going.  My first week I've already lost 4.6 pounds :) Everyone else was losing 5 lbs in their 4th weeks which was totally annoying but 4.6 isn't anything to complain about so I'll do my best not to haha.  I'll post more about this in a few months when I have progress to actually share.  In the meantime I've become addicted (again) to Starbucks Chai.  I always have plenty of points leftover at the end of the day and a small nonfat Chai is only 4 points, so I'm kind of obsessed.  I'm grateful there's not a Starbucks directly on my route to work or else I'd go there everyday!  But also, how stupid is it that there's not a Starbucks on my route to work so I can go there everyday, right?

So there you have it! Now I bet you're wishing I did these wonderul, fun, and upbeat posts every week right?  haha :)  Anyways, I haven't shared many pictures of my Charlie man lately so here are a few cute ones from the last few days-- enjoy!

 The many face of Charlie, taken by my hubby last weekend

 Charlie wearing my boots around looking funny



Charlie cleaning his nebulizer parts (it's a whole darn process, believe me...we have to bleach our the sink, soak in soapy hot water, rinse rinse rinse, drain, air dry, and store in clean Ziploc bags.  It's a minimum of 5 nebulizers, 5 pieces each, per day, so 25 nebulizer pieces per day adds up to a lot of washing).  He actually loves to help clean right now so he was having a blast washing the bubbles off.  Let's hope this helpful stage continues!


Speaking of cleaning, Charlie prefers to practice his deadman's float naked in the tub.  It's obviously the best place for that sort of thing.

Anyways! This has become long and rambly, so I'll let you get back to your day, see you soon!


1 comment:

  1. Oh gosh! Charlie's predicament must have been so scary. It's a good thing that your husband was able to act immediately and bring him over to the hospital. I can only imagine how it must have looked like, or how it must have felt for you, when you found out. That deer incident is also quite shocking. The good thing is that you're safe, even if the car did get banged up. Lastly, I can definitely relate with your new year's resolution. It's almost the end of the current year and I'm at a point where I'm still not sure if I was able to fulfill them. Hahaha! Anyway, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts! All the best!

    Ross Adkins @ Bullseye

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment! You're awesome!