Saturday, February 22, 2014

Life of a CF Mom (as depicted by crappy comic strips)

Hi friends! I'm back today with some more crappy comic strips for ya :) I rarely post on the weekends and NEVER in the evening so I don't know if anyone actually reads blogs on Saturday nights but let's give it a shot!  These Crappy Comic Strips are based around my life as Charlie's momma, in particular, a momma to a 3 year old with Cystic Fibrosis.  I think most other CF parents will be able to relate but I'll put an explanation underneath each one for the rest of my readers who aren't familiar with CF (lucky ducks).  Click to enlarge

 
Charlie has a LOT of nebulizer treatments per day.  When he's healthy it's a minimum of 3-5 but when he's sick that jumps up to 8-11.  Each treatment takes approximately 7-25 minutes, depending on the medication.  Since each treatment requires a new nebulizer the dirty ones pile up damn fast. 
 

Along with nebulizer treatments Charlie also has to wear a physiotherapy vest twice per day (and yes I spelled it wrong the first time in the comic.  Told ya they were crappy....).  Since he very rarely appreciates having to stop his important business to be shaken around like a paint can for 20 minutes twice per day he has come up with a system of maneuvers to get out of doing it.  They never work ;)


Charlie's pancreas can't secrete digestive enzymes so he's unable to digest his food without the assistance of enzymes.  He takes 4 pills before every meal and he can't eat without them.  He takes 360-400 pills every month so they take up a LOT of space.  It's also a pain because we have to remember to take them with us (along with a spoon, bowl, and applesauce for mixing) whenever we leave the house.  I'm proud to say that in 3.5years we have only forgotten his enzymes twice, but man does it SUCK when that happens.  Talk about mommy guilt!

Alrighty, that's it for today! Hope everyone is having a great weekend-- I'm looking forward to my "weekend" starting on Monday ;)

6 comments:

  1. Those comics are adorable! And SO relatable! I think I've experienced all three of these issues (multiple times!). You should write more of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! Glad I'm not the only one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! This is absolute truth at my house! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so awesome, I have a 3 year old too and we experienced that "crap" moment at a restaurant before...:) cool blog...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Nice to see someone else admitting to forgetting enzymes haha

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me a comment! You're awesome!