Thursday, March 13, 2014

No Chop, One Pot, Low Calorie Vegetable Soup

I think I can safely say that you cannot beat a recipe that doesn't require any chopping.  Oh also, if it only uses up one pot that's pretty great too.  Oh also, if it is actually GOOD for you that's a pretty big bonus.  Oh also, if you can make it for under $5 that's even better.  Does such a recipe exist? Why yes, yes it does!


This recipe took me hardly any time to make and is super healthy.  I'm eating it for lunches all week and it has been deeeelicious so far.  I've seen about a million recipes for "healthy vegetable soup" out there, which is great, but it gets boring after a while.  This is definitely a more interesting spin on that concept with a bit of heat and smokiness from the red pepper flakes and cumin.  And thanks to frozen vegetables you don't even have to get out a knife and cutting board.  Sweet!  I didn't realize that they sell frozen, diced onions at Target nowadays- and it pretty much made my life complete.  I hate chopping onions SO much and this is SOOOOOO easy to just dump them in the pot and saute.  These are the veggies I used, cheap and easy!



Here's my recipe- adapted from this one- enjoy!  Don't forget to stop by on Monday for the big release of my new e-Book "Make Ahead Meals: Freezer Meal Recipes that Make Dinner Quick and Easy"!!

No Chop, One Pot, Low Calorie Vegetable Soup

Serving Size: 2 cups
Calories per Serving: 88
Weight Watchers Points Plus per Serving: 2

2 tsp olive oil
1 cup of frozen, diced onions
2 tsp pre minced garlic
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2x 16oz bags Frozen Broccoli, Cauliflower, and Carrot Medley
6 cups water
3 bouillion cubes (you can use 6 cups of chicken stock if you prefer, I just like bouillion cubes because they take up less space)

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Add the onions and saute until translucent.  Add the garlic, cumin seeds, and red pepper flakes and saute for approximately 2 minutes until fragrant.  Add the two bags of frozen vegetables, water, and bouillion cubes and bring to a simmer.  Simmer for 7-10 minutes, until vegetables are cooked through.  Use a stick blender to blend the soup to a smooth consistency. 

Since I'm using this soup as lunch for the week I put 2 cups into each of these little Ziploc twist and lock containers.  I love them- they dont spill, they stack, and they're inexpensive.

That's it- easy peasy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment! You're awesome!