Saturday, May 3, 2014

IIFYM and The First 15 Pounds

Hi friends! It's been approximately forever since I last did a weight loss post.  The last post I did I mentioned  that I was getting really bad workout headaches/migraines and it was derailing my workouts which then derailed my eating and you can imagine what happened next.  I had lost 18lbs last summer and since then I have gained it all back plus an extra 20lbs for good measure.  No, I don't want to tell you what I weigh, but trust me- it's a lot and way too much.

Fast forward to now- I have lost the first 15lbs.  Still 5lbs away from where I STARTED last year which is super annoying.  But I feel good about this anyways, mainly because I've changed my approach and I figured out why I was getting those horrible workout headaches- I'll get to that in a second!

This go around I found the IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros) approach and I am IN LOVE.  Instead of counting calories I count macronutrients; meaning protein, carbohydrates, and fat.  IIFYM allows you to eat literally anything you want as long as you meet your macronutrient requirements within 5g.  You could eat hamburgers all day if it fits, but I only eat clean food minus a cheat meal or two every week.  The main reason I love this program so much, as opposed to counting calories, is that I can eat SO much more.  When I counted calories I ate 1200 calories per day.  Counting my macros gives me 1500 calories per day- and that number was brought down from 1850, which was initially reccomended!  I'm never hungry!  And guess what? I work out like a monster and never get headaches anymore.  Wanna guess why? It's because I wasn't eating enough before (and def not enough protein)!  1200 calories per day is a pretty run of the mill number for weight loss so it never once occurred to me that I might need to eat more.  Now I'm able to eat 25% more food and still lose weight- awesome!  If you want to try out the IIFYM calculator to find out your macros it's free and you can find it here.  You'll probably have to adjust down because the calories they give off the bat are quite high (I couldn't eat 1850 calories of clean food without feeling sick to my stomach full so I wound up decreasing by 5-7% per week until I hit 1500 calories or so, which is where I'm happy at).

Every Tuesday (this is my "Sunday" since I work weekends) I meal prep for the work week.  I plan out 5 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 5 snacks, and 5 dinners that all meet my daily macro requirements.  They're all done and prepared so I never have to cook or think twice about what I'm eating for 5 days. The last 2 days of the week I allow a cheat meal or two but keep on track with my other meals.

Here's some examples of my meal plan, I eat the same thing every day for 5 days, but usually it's pretty tasty so it doesn't bother me.


Calories and Macro nutrients: 157g Protein/ 146g Carbohydrates/ 46g fat/ 1574 Calories
Breakfast: Spark Energy Drink during workout, Oats and Whey protein shake, Quest bar
Lunch: whole wheat pasta, tomato sauce, lean ground beef, spinach, zuchinni, mushrooms, low fat mozzarella
Snack: low fat cottage cheese + pineapple chunks
Dinner: Tilapia filets and broccoli
Dessert: Dole Banana Fruit Dippers


Calories and Macro nutrients155g Protein/ 137g Carbohydrates/ 44g fat/ 1512 Calories
Breakfast: Spark Energy Drink during workout, Oats and Whey protein shake, Quest bar
Lunch: 1/6th portion of Asian Beef and Broccoli (recipe in my cookbook), brown rice
Snack: Danon Light Greek Yogurt
Dinner: Chicken breast with salsa, guacamole, and brussel sprouts
Dessert: Dole Banana Dippers


Calories and Macro nutrients: 155g Protein/ 137g Carbohydrates/ 44g fat/ 1512 Calories
Breakfast: Spark Energy Drink during workout, Oats and Whey protein shake, Quest Bar
Lunch: 1/6th portion of Pulled Mexican Chicken (recipe in my cookbook), brown rice, low fat cheddar cheese
Snack: Low fat cottage cheese + peaches
Dinner: Pork tenderloin and mashed cauliflower with butter and parmesan cheese
Dessert: 3 Dove Dark Chocolate Promises

That's a lot of food right? Oh boy and do I ever love my Quest bars!  I have issues with a lot of fake sugar (specifically sucralose and dextromaltrin), they give my belly the rumbles.  The quest bars and the Oats and Whey protein shake are very low in fake sugar and delicious!! Highly recommend to people sensitive like myself!


I also use the IsoBag lunch box (purchase HERE) to bring my meals to work. It is the coolest thing ever.  I love how it keeps everything organized and cold, so now I don't have to try and stuff my food into the work refrigerator anymore.  I bought the 6 meal bag since I'll be switching to 10 hour shifts soon, but they also have a 3 meal bag for you regular folks out there.  It's so nice because even if I miss a snack or meal I know it'll stay cold until I get home.



In addition, I'm working out 3 days on and 1 day off throughout the week.  I do Jillian Michaels Body Revolution and throw in some kickboxing DVDs, jogging, or walking on top of it.  The last time I tried to do Body Revolution I could only get to Day 3 before I started to get splitting headaches.  Now I'm well into Month 2 with no problems or skipped workout days!  I love me some Jillian Michaels!

So that's where I'm at now.  I have a lot of weight to lose so I started a chart where I get rewarded every 15lbs.  Since I've finally met my first goal I got to go to the hairdresser to get my hair done for my reward :) It's been over a year since I got a haircut (yikes!) so she had to lop off quite a bit to keep it healthy.  It's weird having it so "short" now- so much easier to wash in the shower haha.   



Sorry I'm not sharing any before and after pics, quite honestly the before pics are still pretty embarassing.  I'll be happy to share when I hit 30lbs lost, maybe :) I'll try and post updates every 15lbs lost unless you would like to see more examples of my weekly meals, and then I can start posting those- just let me know :) How are you losing? Any tips or wisdom to share?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment! You're awesome!