Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Charlie's First Dinosaur Playdate

Hi everyone! Charlie had his first ever play date last week and I thought I'd share some of the crafts we did. It was so fun and probably the cutest thing ever. Charlie kept talking about his best friend, D, so I gathered up my courage and called his mom (who I didn't know) to schedule a play date. We initially scheduled for a Monday and charlie was SO excited but then his mom had to cancel at the last minute. There were SO many tears, yikes! Luckily we could reschedule for the next day!

Charlie mentioned that his friend LOVED dinosaurs so I found some dinosaur activities that could keep them busy for part of the time while he was over.  I thought I'd share them here because they worked really well and were easy to boot :)

Dinosaur Dig:  I bought a little tub of plastic dinosaurs and 2 tubs of cornstarch to make this activity; you can find the original post HERE.  It was a definite hit with the boys!  First, mix one tub of cornstarch with enough water to dissolve it and dye it any color you like with food coloring.  Once it's thoroughly mixed you can drop in your plastic dinosaurs and set out to dry.  If you want you can also swirl a few extra drops of food coloring on the top for a cool marble-y effect :)




Since I was doing this the night before I didn't have enough time for it to air dry completely.  When I came downstairs in the morning most of the cornstarch had settled to the bottom of the tupperware so I carefully drained off the water on top.  After that I microwaved in intervals of 30 seconds to 1 minute until it seemed dry (make sure you let it cool after each spin in the microwave).  The picture on the right shows what it looks like when it's nice and dry; you'll see cracks along the top that help it look like a fossil rock :)


I gave the kids tools to dig into the cornstarch and find the dinosaurs.  I also gave them a bowl of water and a toothbrush to clean off each dinosaur.


This is what it looked like at the end.  The cornstarch hardened but was still pretty crumbly so it wasn't too hard for them to "dig".  They both really thought it was an awesome activity so I highly recommend trying it.

Afterwards the kids played with one of Charlie's giant dinosaurs while I cleaned up and set up the next activity.  How cute are they playing, right?


The next activity was making dinosaur fossils.  It was very easy, I had the kids help measure 1/2 cup salt, 1 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of water to make a simple salt dough.  After I let it rest for 15 minutes they rolled out some circles and pressed their little plastic dinosaurs, that they previously dug up, into the dough to make a fossil-like imprint.  If you'd like to see more directions you can see HERE, where I originally found the idea. 


Once they were done I microwaved the fossils to cure the dough and then they painted them brown, green, and black to look "authentic" haha.  They came out very cute, but I forgot to get a photo of the finished product.

I also found some free dinosaur printables for coloring while the kids waiting for the fossils to cure. Although that only took up about 5 minutes of a 4 hour playdate so it wasn't that big of a hit when D wanted to play with all of Charlie's toys haha.

I hope this gives you some fun ideas for a dinosaur play date! Charlie loved having his friend over and showing him all of his toys/his room.  It was definitely a success!

2 comments:

  1. Ok - the Mother Of The Year award goes to YOU! This is so cool and adorable. Charlie's a lucky boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha well I certainly wouldn't go THAT far, but thank you for the kind words :) I love dinosaurs just like Charlie's friend so that helped get me on board to find some cool crafts-- if his favorite thing was tractors I probably wouldn't have done anything lol.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me a comment! You're awesome!